The results of Mezzetta’s first “Celebrity Make That Sandwich” contest are in and Iron Chef Michael Symon came out on top with the winning recipe. His Sopressata Sandwich with Magical Mezzetta Pepper Sauce and Fried Egg beat out six talented competitors in a battle to donate $10,000 to their charity of choice.
Michael Symon’s Sopressata Sandwich with Magical Mezzetta Pepper Sauce and Fried Egg
Makes four sandwiches
For Michael’s Magical Mezzetta Pepper Sauce (Makes about 3 cups)
1/2 cup coarsely chopped Mezzetta Sweet Banana Wax Peppers
6 Mezzetta® Brand Spicy Pickled Garlic Cloves
4 Mezzetta® Brand Hot Chili Peppers, coarsely chopped
1 cup yellow mustard
1 cup white wine vinegar
¾ cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1. Toss the Sweet Banana Wax Peppers, Spicy Pickled Garlic cloves, and Hot Chili Peppers into a food processor with the mustard, and vinegar, and puree.
2. Pour the puree into a nonreactive saucepan, add the sugar, and bring to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Combine the flour and ½ cup water and mix to a smooth paste.
4. Whisk the flour mixture into the simmering liquid and return the mixture to a simmer. Cook for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring regularly, until very thick.
5. Let the sauce cool, pour it into a nonreactive container, and refrigerate for up to 1 month.
For the Sandwich
8 paper-thin slices red onion
8 to 12 ounces (about 16 to 24 slices) soppressata or dry-cured Italian salami
4 large eggs
8 slices (about 8 ounces) thin sliced prosciutto
8 thin slices fresh mozzarella
¼ cup Mezzetta® Brand Extra Virgin Olive Oil
8 thick slices sourdough bread, toasted or grilled
½ cup Mezzetta® Brand Roasted Red Bell Pepper Strips and Caramelized Onions
16 large fresh basil leaves
½ cup Michael’s Magical Mezzetta Pepper Sauce
1. Soak the onions in a small bowl of ice water for 2 minutes.
2. While the onions are soaking, in a medium nonstick sauté pan over low heat, fry the soppressata over medium-high heat until lightly crisp and some fat has rendered, about 2 minutes per side. Remove it to a plate.
3. In the same pan, fry an egg sunny-side up.
4. Lightly brush the 2 slices of sourdough with Mezzetta Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
5. While the egg is cooking, drain the onion slices and layer the soppressata, 2 slices prosciutto, 2 slices mozzarella, 2 onion slices, and 2 tablespoons Roasted Red Bell Pepper Strips and Caramelized Onions on a slice of bread.
6. Top with the other slice and place the sandwich in the pan next to the egg, pressing down on the sandwich with the palm of your hand. When that side is lightly toasted, about 3 to 4 minutes, flip the sandwich and toast the other side.
7. Remove the sandwich to a cutting board, and open the sandwich. Lay down four basil leaves, place the egg in the center, and spoon on 2 tablespoons Michael’s Magical Mezzetta Pepper Sauce. Continue process with remaining ingredients for the other sandwiches.
8. Close the sandwiches and slice them in half to serve.