One Touch Can Opener

One Touch Can Opener

“The ONE TOUCH can opener—-Found this gem when shopping at Bed,Bath and Beyond. My mom saw an add on TV for this no-hands one touch can opener. She has a terrible time opening cans even with an electric opener. This product takes 2 AA batteries. You literally place it on the can, push the big black button and off it goes. It takes no coordination or strength. Great for any elderly person or anyone with arthritis or other disabilities. With hurricane season coming to Florida a manual can opener is always needed. Price is $20 and well worth it. I’ll never buy another can opener again!!”

– Gail Rubinsky

By |2017-08-25T16:40:06+00:00September 2nd, 2007|Kitchen Counter, Drawer and More|52 Comments

About the Author:

Blogger Bonnie Tandy Leblang has been covering food since before it was hip to do so! She’s penned magazine, newspaper and syndicated food columns in addition to cookbooks. Follow her on twitter @BonnieBOTB and on Instagram@BiteoftheBest and at @BonnieBOTB "I eat for a living!” is her mantra, sharing what she’s sampled so you’ll know where (or where not) to go, plus what food products and gadgets to try. For her full bio go to the about us page.

52 Comments

1. ewathen November 7, 2007 at 2:49 pm

My son recently ordered a One Touch Jar opener for me because like so many people with arthritis i have a hard time opening jars. I’m always having to hunt my son down to open jars for me which sometimes can be a problem since he’s not always around. So when he saw the advertisement on TV he ordered one and he also ordered the can opener. Glad to know that the can opener works as well as they made it sound. Hope the Jar opener does too!

2. bettymeewes November 27, 2007 at 2:08 pm

I got a One touch can opener for Christmas last year. Now I can’t open it up to replace batteries. I have replaced batteries before and now it won’t open. What do I do?

3. Bonnie Tandy Leblang November 27, 2007 at 3:35 pm

Since I don’t own one, I can’t help you — other than to say call the company. Just in case you tossed all the box materials, I googled the company and found this info for you on their website:

One Touch Can Opener
    P.O. Box 66
    MARLBORO, MA 01752

Phone: 1-800-236-7996 between the hours of 9 am and 4:30 pm est. M thru F or you can call 508-449-4299

4. A.W.Bierman December 8, 2007 at 8:29 pm

I thought I saw an advertisement for your can opener that recharged itself when you put it back in a holder. If this is true can you tell me where I might purchace one? I live in Kankakee, Ill. 60901
    Thank You.

5. Bonnie Tandy Leblang December 10, 2007 at 6:35 pm

It’s not “my” can opener — but one suggested by one of the site visitors. Call the 800 number in the comment above and ask them where in your area to purchase one. Thanks for visiting — and posting on the site.

6. karen zajicek December 30, 2007 at 5:45 pm

cant get it to work. worked good for about a year i can call the toll free no. but all i have is 800 236 799 what is the rest?

7. Bath box February 4, 2008 at 8:38 pm

Bath box…

Great, hard hitting letter….

8. Goodacre April 19, 2008 at 8:59 am

My one touch can opener(Nouvelle)is brand new. so don’t know if it has batteries inside, or not. CANNOT open it to find out. Instructions seem to be translated from ‘another’ language which says to “place each thumb each side and pull down while looking at the back – small end towards you.” That would be impossible unless someone was holding the other side!! Thanks

9. Bonnie Tandy Leblang April 20, 2008 at 10:21 am

Can any of you who have this can opener help out?

10. Naomi July 11, 2008 at 1:12 am

I bought two of these as I was having surgery on dominant hand. Before two months had passed, both stopped working in spite of battery change. It is a worthless item & the merchant told me that they get many returns.

11. Ron Arnold August 3, 2008 at 7:28 pm

Here is where you can purchase the one touch can opener

or http://www.ats-tn.com go to product catalog, then helping hand products.

12. Lynne B October 20, 2008 at 5:20 pm

I purchased a OneTouch approx 3 months ago. Yesterday, I was using it to open a jar of pickled asparagrass. The inside holder/turner broke!!!! The opener wouldn’t open to get it off the jar. I had to have a male neighbor pry/push the opener off of the jar. Yes, it had opened the jar but it is of no use to me now as it is still broken and doesn’t work.

13. Bonnie Tandy Leblang October 20, 2008 at 5:23 pm

Lynne, I suggest taking it back to the store where you purchased it or contact the company directly. By googling the OneTouch I found the phone number for you. Call 1-800-236-7996 between the hours of 9 am and 4:30 pm est. M thru F.

14. Mike Hansford October 20, 2008 at 5:26 pm

If you purchase one from this company they will allow you to return it, especially if it breaks.

15. Sharon Lebaum December 26, 2008 at 7:56 pm

I purchased on from
    They are incredible! I just love this can opener.

16. Lois Churchill December 27, 2008 at 11:45 am

I have a one-touch can opener and have misplaced the manual. Could you please tell me how to change the batteries as mine is running low. I really like the way it opens cans. I would appreciate hearing from you.
    Thanks,
    Lois

17. Bonnie Tandy Leblang December 27, 2008 at 11:26 pm

Lois, someone from Assistive Technology Services emailed me the manual for you. I will forward it to you — and to anyone else who asks for it.

18. Patricia January 11, 2009 at 3:46 pm

I just bought the can opener but I can’t push to open battery compartment . How do I do it ?
    Patricia

19. Lois Churchill January 11, 2009 at 5:01 pm

I wrote you the latter part of December. Now that I found out how to change the batteries in my one-touch can opener. I changed them, but it still won’t work. I’ve had it about 4 years and have never had any problems with it. However I won’t be investing in another one.

20. Lynne Brown January 11, 2009 at 9:27 pm

I purchased a OneTouch approx 6 months ago. It worked well for the first 5 months then my Husband was gone and I needed to open a LARGE jar of dill pickles. I though YEAH I have the OneTouch. I put it on the jar and pushed the button. WOOPS!!!!!! it tried to open it but parts broke off and the opener stayed attached to the lid and kept running. After a hour or more my husband come to the my aid. I tried to find out how to get my money back or a new opener BUT I RECEIVED NO INFORMATION FROM THE COMPANY. BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!!!!!! Lynne

21. Sharon Laney January 11, 2009 at 9:30 pm

Lynne Brown, what company did you purchase it from?

22. Debbie Onsford February 19, 2009 at 3:46 pm

I recently bought one from http://www.ats-tn.com. Here is the link
    They were so helpful and shipped it fast. I really like mine.

23. Marc March 4, 2009 at 8:31 am

I have also trouble with this can opener. Bonnie Tandy Leblang, will it be possible that you email me the manual? Thanks

24. […] March 4, 2009 There’s been a number of requests posted on our Readers Suggestion for a One Touch Can Opener asking for info on the […]

25. Bonnie Tandy Leblang March 4, 2009 at 1:54 pm

Marc, Check out the TidBite section of BiteoftheBest.com, as I just posted a link so that you can download a pdf of the instruction manual for this.

26. Marc March 5, 2009 at 3:33 am

Hi Bonnie,thanks a lot. I downloaded your file and found what I’m looking for. Great.

27. Bonnie Tandy Leblang March 5, 2009 at 6:56 pm

Glad to help!

28. Carolyn W March 8, 2009 at 1:37 pm

I cannot open this NO-HANDS one touch can opener from China #KC02. It looks like some kind of weird Chinese joke:
    “Push to open battery compartment” on a solid piece of plastic that cannot be opened. I think we in the US should stop being suckered into buying this Chinese junk. If anyone knows how to get inside to change the battery, I’d be interested.
    Thanks,
    Carolyn

29. Bonnie Tandy Leblang March 8, 2009 at 1:58 pm

Go to our TidBites section for a downloadable pdf of the instruction manual that I posted on March 4th.

30. Joe August 3, 2009 at 12:49 pm

I just caled and complained. I bought 2 within a 2 month period and both just stopped working for me. I asked the rep about mailing them back to get replaced or get a refund because I tossed the boxes both times. She tell me sir, we just make and ship the product, we didnt sell it to yoi take it up with the store, we cannot help you. Right now im calling the BBB and will blog, twitter, myspace, digg, facebook and hubpages about how horrible this product it. Im going to make sure I give them advertising they will not forget. Stay away from this product, it’s a piece of JUNK.

31. Rosemarie August 18, 2009 at 6:45 pm

can you please email me the instruction manual for the One Touch Can Opener? I misplaced mine and I need to replace the battery. Thanks

32. Bonnie Tandy Leblang August 18, 2009 at 8:45 pm

Glad to assist Rosemarie…
    To download s pdf of the manual go to:

33. Mary L. Chesney August 20, 2009 at 2:19 pm

I boughty a One-Touch thru publishers Clearing House about a year ago. It worked fine for awhile, opening abou 2 to 3 cans per week. Then all of a sudden it jammed opening a can. I followed instructions for removing the opener from the can, but top no avail. I had to completely destroy a full can of tomatoes by cutting it apart with tin shears. Tried to get a number verification from PCH, but they could not help. Went to the we and punched in some of the readable numbers from the opener (800-236-7993)and found this site. Now what do I do?……Mary

34. Mary L. Chesney August 20, 2009 at 2:21 pm

I bought a One-Touch thru publishers Clearing House about a year ago. It worked fine for awhile, opening about 2 to 3 cans per week. Then all of a sudden it jammed opening a can. I followed instructions for removing the opener from the can, but to no avail. I had to completely destroy a full can of tomatoes by cutting it apart with tin shears. Tried to get a number verification from PCH, but they could not help. Went to the web and punched in some of the readable numbers from the opener (800-236-7993)and found this site. Now what do I do?……Mary

35. Bonnie Tandy Leblang August 20, 2009 at 2:27 pm

We don’t have anything to do with the can opener — other that someone in our community recommended it, and you can see the dialogue that resulted. If you look up at response #32 I have given a link that downloads the instruction manual (I obtained that from the company). I hope that it’s helpful

36. Mary L. Chesney August 20, 2009 at 2:31 pm

I bought a One-Touch from publishers Clearing House about a year ago. It worked fine for awhile, opening about 2 to 3 cans per week. Then all of a sudden it jammed opening a can. I followed instructions for removing the opener from the can, but to no avail. I had to completely destroy a full can of tomatoes by cutting it apart with tin shears. Tried to get a number verification, from the back of the opener, from PCH, but they could not help. Went to the web and punched in some of the readable numbers from the opener (800-236-7996)and found this site. Now what do I do?……Mary

37. Nolan Hargrave October 25, 2009 at 8:11 pm

When the opener goes dead, take a knife and carefully pry open the top of the opener about an 1/8th of an inch and insert a flat screwdriver to start the process of separting the two sides of the device. Be very careful with the knife or use a thin metal piece to pry the two pieces apart. Do this at your own risks! Turn the device upside down and using your two thumbs push down towards the bottom of the opener and presto, it should open and reveal two double AA batteries. Insert new ones and bingo, the device should work just like new.

38. CHRIS November 10, 2009 at 3:32 am

I HAVE A 1 TOUCH CAN OPENER AND IT IS THE BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD, AS FOR THE LADY #2 WHO COULD NOT OPEN THE 1 TOUCH TO CHANGE BATTERIES, HOLD THE OPENER IN ONE HAND WITH THE BLACK BUTTON IN THE PALM OF YOUR HAND, NOTICE THE ARROW HALF WAY DOWN JUST SLIDE IT DOWN AND THE BATTERY CASE WILL OPEN UP.

LADY #6 CHANGE THE BATTERIES. PERSON #8 READ MY REMIDY FOR PERSON #2. LADY #9 STATE YOUR PROBLEM AND I WILL HELP YOU WITH IT. LADY #10 SORRY ABOUT YOUR SURGERY, IF IT DOES NOT WORK IT IS BECAUSE THERE IS A LITTLE METAL RECTANGLE NEXT TO THE BLADE THAT NEEDS TO BE PUSHED SO THE BLADE RETRACTS MORE TO GET THE CAN TO OPEN. PERSON #12 YOU CANNOT USE THIS OPENER ON A JAR, ONLY CANS. I MYSELF HAVE HAD ONE FOR ABOUT 3-4 YEARS AND NEVER A PROBLEM, READ THE DIRECTIONS. LADY #16 & LADY #18 READ THE COMMENT TO LADY #2 ON HOW THE REPLACE THE BATTERIES. LADY #19 READ THE COMMENT TO LADY #10. LADY #20 READ THE COMMENT TO LADY #12. LADY #28 READ THE COMMENT TO LADY #2 DON’T PUSH, SLIDE AND IT WILL OPEN, YOU WILL NOTICE A SEAM ALL THE WAY AROUND, THAT MEANS IT OPENS. MR #30 IT IS NOT JUNK, READ THE COMMENT I WROTE TO LADY #10. LADY #33, #34 & #36(THESE ARE TRIPLICATES FROM THE SAME PERSON) IF THE 1 TOUCH GETS STUCK ON A CAN, THERE IS A LITTLE BLACK INDENT ON THE BOTTOM OF THE OPENER, JUST PRESS THAT AND IT WILL RELEASE. MR #37, THERE IS NO NEED TO USE A SCREW DRIVER ON THIS JUST PLACE IT WITH THE BLACK ROUND BUTTON SIDE IN YOUR HAND, FIND THE ARROW AND SLIDE DOWN AND THE BATTERY COMPARTMENT WILL OPEN. I LOVE MY 1 TOUCH AND I WOULD NOT TRADE IT FOR ANYTHING, READ YOUR MANNUALS AND YOU’LL SEE IT IS A WONDERFUL OPENER.

39. Mr. X December 9, 2009 at 2:25 pm

So how much money have you made from this since you started?

40. Dean December 11, 2009 at 4:05 pm

Tryed the “easy slide” method …doesnt work ..but.
    if you hold as Chris says with the black button in palm of left hand and instead of sliding with the other hand you sort of “hit or punch” the other half in the direction of the arrows with the other open hand palm it does open up …
    Maybe a little wd40 on the edges when slid back together would prevent same problem later ..
    Hope this helps.

41. Bea Burgess September 28, 2010 at 6:23 pm

Lid got stuck on my One Touch Can Opener, got it out, then put in new batteries, slid the back on and now it will not work. I followed instructions for starting it again to no avail. What can I do?

42. Earl November 5, 2010 at 5:45 pm

My wife bought the earlier model with batteries accessible from the bottom, not side; from retail store for less than $10 (guess a later model had come out!) It worked great until batteries got low and then stopped as it reached the seam on a large, thick can. It got stuck. No instructions. Couldn’t release the can.

I tried turning a black screw to the right of the blade and got the tractor gear beneath the blade to turn slightly, but ended stripping the gear that was at the base of the screw. Had to cut the can away with snips.

After clearing the remaining rim away from the blade I was able to get the opener to barely run by pressing down the sensor blade to the left of the cutter blade. I removed the bottom cover and get to the batteries by pushing the cover down away from the cutter with thumbs pressing down hard against its tummy. The cutter did not run by pressing down on the sensor until I restored the cover. Can’t understand why not?

Out of curiosity I removed the cover again, and then proceeded to remove the batteries and then 7 tiny screws that joined the motor and gears casing. I should have lifted the top half straight up off the motor and gears but ended up having to gather them all up from all over my table and put them back into position again. Didn’t see any real problems inside except for the gear that I stripped on the screw. The screw was made of a soft plastic that was not designed for use with any force.

Replacing the motor and gears wasn’t nearly so difficult to do as then replacing the top piece over them without having wires drop down in the way. After several attempts I was finally able to gently push the wires around at the edges and get the top piece seated. After screwing it down and sliding the battery cover in place, it has resumed running again.

WHEN THE BATTERY STARTS GETTING LOW PUT IN NEW BATTERIS. USE THE OLD BATTERIES IN ONE OF YOUR SPARE FLASHLIGHTS.

43. mary ganje December 11, 2010 at 6:43 pm

I just bought a new one touch can opener and cannot open it to insert batteries. Help. Mary

44. Bonnie from BiteoftheBest.com December 12, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Mary, Go to our TidBites section for a downloadable pdf of the instruction manual that I posted on March 4th, 2009

45. Bonnie from BiteoftheBest.com December 12, 2010 at 12:06 pm
  46. John December 13, 2010 at 1:34 am

Mary,

Nothing is wrong, you’re just not pushing the black button down far enough. It’s kinda like a locking mechanism so you have to make sure you push it all the way down… Might use a small screwdriver to help push it down. Don’t use pen, it might be too hard to press and could lead to a mess! Good luck!

John

47. Martha Prince January 15, 2011 at 9:43 am

Haven’t worked since I bought it. Put batteries in, all closed up. Push the black button and doesn’t work. Can push the can detect switch and it will work. Put it on the can and touched the black start button and won’t work.
    HELP!

48. Doris February 2, 2011 at 11:18 am

I bought one a few years ago and loved how it works. However, it got jammed, and in getting it off the can, the mechanism was destroyed. I bought another one, and it stopped working. I replaced the batteries, and it still won’t work. I called the customer number and left a message. I never heard anything back. I won’t get another one. I just ordered an electric can opener from Amazon.

49. John Coulter September 18, 2011 at 7:43 pm

there is a reset button on the back of mine. when it gets stuck just push the button and it will release (if you have any battery power left).

to change batteries, just push with both thumbs in the direction of the black arrows while holding the “top” portion with your fingers, the whole back cover comes off.

50. Stacie September 1, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Don’t know if this will help, but it may—-my One-Touch opener quit working about a couple of months ago. Put new batteries in and still nothing. Bought a manual opener, but my hands have hurt every time I have to use it. Was going to buy a new One-Touch because I liked mine so much(when it was working), but I decided to try something. The batteries that I put in were off-brand, so I put in Energizers. Reset according to the instructions by the opener blade in red and it took right off. Don’t know why, but I’m going to try Energizer or Duracell from now on–if that is not the problem the next time, I know I can always use the batteries in something else.